Monday, November 22, 2010

Are you ready to give an answer??

So last week I had a very unique opportunity.

I was at work going about my day when I was interrupted by my co-worker. I was told there was someone up front wanting to ask questions while video taping responses to some questions about Christmas. I finished the dental cleaning I was in the middle of and headed up front. I discovered it was the pastor and youth leader from a local Assembly of God church. I had literally 5 minutes between when the questions were handed to me and when they started the interview process. I wasn't questioned as to how I might answer prior to being taped. When I skimmed though the questions though I was really excited about what I had to share. So here they are......

Question #1
Do you believe Christmas is an event worth celebrating? If so, how do you go about celebrating this holiday?

Question #2
According to the original account in Luke chapter 1 of the Bible, the Christ child was born of a virgin. What are your thoughts about this teaching?

Question #3
In Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" Ebenezer Scrooge began living out his belief in Christmas though charity. What things might you do to keep Christmas alive throughout the year?

I enjoyed the fact that I knew what my answers were going to be the moment I read the questions. But the pastor had no clue as he began filming.

Here are my answers as I remember them...

#1- Yes, it is a event worth celebrating. I was told it wasn't worth celebrating for 21 years of my life. But after becoming a Christian I realize that even though it may not be the exact day or time of year Jesus was born, who cares. There is worldwide unity in the body of Christ to take time to acknowledge that God humbled Himself to come to this earth. Christmas isn't the easiest time of year for me because my parents still don't celebrate Christmas. As far as they are concerned it is a 'heathen' holiday. So I have to admit it hurts a bit as I see familys that come together for Christmas, whether they are the rest of the year or not. So enjoy and cherish your time with your family as you celebrate. If you don't have actually family to celebrate with, seek out your family in Christ so you do have someone to celebrate with.

#2- I have no doubt in my mind about this account of the virgin birth. I believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God. If it says it, it happened. But what an amazing thing. God came to this earth, fully God and yet fully man. To live His life and then die for our sins. That's still something I can't wrap my mind around.

#3- (at this point I smiled)- In about 3 weeks I'm going to Guatemala for a mission trip. I will be there for a full month taking my time and money to serve others. I was there for 23 days last year. I think it's very important for us to be active in charity. Not because we have to. Because it is by grace through faith that we are saved. NOT by works so that no one may boast. BUT with the gift that we have received through Christ's death and resurrection, why wouldn't we want to give to others? So I do encourage you to do what you can. You don't have to go to a foreign country to serve. Focus on your own community. As someone told me, help those where your shadow falls and don't get overwhelmed by the need. So help at the local food pantry. Be active in local clothing drives. There are many ways we can be involved in charity right where we are.

-----------------------

So the pastor ended by thanking me. Then when the camera was off he asked if he could give me a hug. He said he was excited to have met a like minded follower of Christ. I then had a chance to share a little more about myself with him. It was a great time. Just think what Heaven will be like!! And we won't have to run off to the next thing or get back to work. We will be in fellowship for ever and ever and ever and ever......

So later in the day I was contemplating this whole thing. WOW. So I didn't get to sit there and rehearse things. It was BOOM, give an account. I know this is on a much smaller scale than situations some of our brothers and sisters in Christ are faced with. BUT are you ready to lay it all on the table to be a witness for Christ?? When the pastor and I were talking at the end that is something we actually got in to. People are afraid to talk about where they have been or what they have/do struggle(d) with. They are afraid that next time a person sees them on the street that is all they will think about. Their 'issue', not who they are as a person. I thank God for the strong community of believers I have the privileged of being involved with that sees each other as Christ does. We aren't our struggle or issue, rather a child of the King!! Redeemed through the cleansing Blood of the Lamb!!!


"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."
~1 Peter 3:15b-16~

1 comment: