Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Pet food recall- Let me know when it's over... I'll go back to work then

So has anyone heard about the major pet food recall yet???

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

We had a 3 year old cat come in a week and a half ago with renal failure from unknown origin. Fortunately we saved it but it was hospitalized for over a week. Then the owner called on Monday... they had been feeding the cat the gavy and bites food out of a pouch. Which actually when the cat was getting alittle better and we were trying to get it to eat... they brought some of it in to see if she would eat it. So I have seen some of that food.

I'm soooooooooooo glad that I'm not a receptionist though. Those poor souls have had countless calls each day. This afternoon we had a dog on the schedule. It was coming in because it wasn't doing well and had eaten some of the recalled food.

I went on some of my Veterinary Technician message boards tonight. It's all the buzz and there are countless posts with techs reporting their hospitalized patients. It seems that cats are being affected by this more than dogs. Which is interesting because on the schedule... the afore mentioned dog was coming in because it had eaten some of the recalled cat food.

Fortunately now us medical professionals are aware of the cause of this strange outbreak of renal failure and can act accordingly. It is just the gravy with chunks/bites food as listed on the website I mentioned earlier. If you suspect that your animal has eaten the recalled food and is showing signs of renal failure (one or more)... poor appetite, weight loss, dehydration, lethargy, depression, an increased thirst along with increased volumes of urine being produced, a poor coat, vomiting, bad-smelling breath, ulceration in the mouth and weakness.... call your veterinarian!!!

Ok.... I'm going to go do something else now. I don't want to have to think about this until I'm paid to do so at work..........

No comments:

Post a Comment