Monday, September 10, 2012

July 11th update


 Greetings!!

 I recently returned from a 12 day trip to Seattle. Originally meant to be an 8 day trip from which I learned, even having a return airline ticket on a specific date is subject to change in God’s plan. The first week was spent at the CRISTA Miracle Ranch outside of Seattle for the Christian Veterinary Mission’s Training of Trainers. CRISTA is the parent ministry of CVM and several other national and international ministries.

There were 3 facilitators, an intern and 9 of us participants. It was an invaluable week of learning. Holding true to participatory methodology, we learned new skills and then immediately put them to use. Through the structure of the training as the week progressed, less of the ‘training’ was being done by the facilitators and more was being done by us participants. We each had also planned and presented a participatory lesson. I was stretched in many ways, but left with newfound skills and confidence that I know will be used even as soon as my upcoming trip to Uganda.

Even while we were still at camp we were using our growing skills outside of the planned lessons. The head camp wrangler now has the ability to identify parasitism in her sheep/goats and skills to properly deworm them. She also trimmed her goat’s hooves and despite her petite stature, handily caught and tipped a sheep. Sheep tipping is just what it sounds like. The sheep ends up sitting on it’s rump and is restrained for many necessary procedures.



We also participated in some of the camp’s offered activities. We went canoeing, horseback riding, roasted marshmallows and got reenergized by paintballing. The first several rounds were Savage Heathen Natives (boys) vs. The Missionaries (girls). Needless to say, bringing the Gospel by force was a losing endeavor.

Some of us also participated in the high ropes course. My climb 50’ up the side of a tree and the corresponding jump off of the small platform into midair provided great reflection. “Leap of Faith” is what this is appropriately called. You have to trust your ropes, climbing harness and belayer as you jump in to the abyss in front of you. This is a great picture of what our faith looks like. Francesca Battistelli says it very well in her song “I'm Letting Go”.





“My heart beats, standing on the edge
But my feet have finally left the ledge
Like an acrobat
There's no turning back

This is a giant leap of faith
Trusting and trying to embrace
The fear of the unknown
Beyond my comfort zone”


“I'm letting go
Of the life I planned for me
And my dreams
I'm losing control
Of my destiny
It feels like I'm falling and that's
what it's like to believe
So I'm letting go

Giving in to your gravity
Knowing You are holding me
I'm not afraid”






So the CVM home office in Seattle requested that I stay a few extra days. Changing my airline ticket was much cheaper than another trip out to Seattle, so I agreed. I was able to complete a few more things on my journey to becoming an official long term fieldworker candidate for CVM. This included my psychological evaluation (I know, amazingly they are still sending me to Africa). So now, Lord willing, there is a chance that I will be approved by the personnel committee and ready to begin my deputation process even before I return from Africa!!



In those several days, I was also blessed to get to know the Seattle office staff by more than just names on emails. I can assure you, they are a great group of genuine people that love Jesus!

So the next stop is Uganda, Africa. I fly out of Chicago on July 28th and return on September 7th. Thanks for all of your support!!! Considering the short amount of time I have had to plan for this trip, I have had much of my financial needs supplied for already!!

I am still $1,200 short of my needs including the additional expenses of my extended stay in Seattle. So I would ask that you would prayerfully consider financial supporting what God is doing as I follow His leading to full time mission service.

For His Purposes,
Emily

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me —the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.-Acts 20:24

Donation details: You can make one time gifts or set up an EFT for monthly donations. For any donation questions you can ask me or call CVM directly at 206-546-7574. The lady pictured in the blue shirt (back row) will happily assist you.   My CVM account number is UCVSTM1522.
You can write them directly at: Christian Veterinary Mission, 19303 Fremont Ave N., Seattle, WA 98133
 You can also donate online by going to www.cvmusa.org  > Donate / Ways to Give > Short Term Missions > "Click here to make a donation for an individual”  On the Donate to Short Term – Individuals page there is a box called Designation with a drop-down menu.  For designation please select "Other" (at the bottom of the list). A white box will appear, and please enter in my account number (UCVSTM1522) and write in my name, Emily Arndt - ST Missions.



No comments:

Post a Comment