Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What possessed you to decide to move to Africa?

So I'm moving to Africa.

How on earth did that happen? 

That's a pretty good question that I have been pondering myself as well recently. I mean, what American decides to leave electricity, stable income, running water, clean water, a big house, smooth roads, air conditioning, endless varieties of food, endless supplies of food, CHEESE, automatic clothes washers, refrigeration, fast internet, friends, family.... well the list could go on. Don't forget the lack of disease and parasites.

One major turning point was April 3rd, 2002 when I told God that I was sick of trying to run my life myself. I knew I couldn't be good enough on my own. In fact, my life was pretty messed up and full of sin. So I accepted the free gift of Salvation through the shed blood of Jesus Christ and began my new life as a child of God. So from there I began pursuing God and learning more and more about Him. Just like any relationship, you need to invest time in to it for it to grow and strengthen.

As God began taking the junk out of my life, He began putting good stuff in. From Bible Studies to mentors. Then I started getting involved in church ministries. Not out of duty or obligation, but because I wanted to share this Good News and Hope with others. Over time I have been involved with the Youth Group, Children's Church, Prayer Ministry and even served as the church Financial Secretary for 3 years. But then what?

I believe it was in the summer of 2006 when I was out mowing lawn on the riding lawnmower when I heard God ask me, "If someone asked you to go to India, would you?" It wasn't an audible voice, but I knew that it was God. Within a week a friend of mine asked me out of the blue if I would ever consider going to India on a mission trip. That trip has never developed due to their spouse's failing health. BUT… the seeds were planted.

Then in November of 2006 I was out deer hunting and I was having a conversation with God. I told Him that my life was His completely and I would follow where ever He leads. I said that to show my commitment to Him I wouldn't shoot anything that came by within the next 10 minutes. Well, I’m sure you can guess the next part. So 3 deer come within 40 yards of my stand. 2 bucks and a doe. They stop RIGHT in front of me…. and the bucks fight each other. It was absolutely amazing to watch. Then 8 minutes after I had first looked at my watch, they left. 

Missions has just been on my heart more and more ever since. I can’t get enough of listening to missionaries talk. Reading books they have written. From the happy ones to the ones filled with tales of captivity, torture and martyrdom. 

But how do you really know you have been called to missions if you haven't served in missions before? Well, I went on a month long trip to Guatemala in 2009. Then again in 2010. During that trip we also spent some time in Honduras. Then I took two shorter trips to Guatemala. One in June of 2011 and the last one December of 2011. Each trip to Guatemala concretes this within me. Some of my close friends began to act more surprised every time I returned to the States.

So I researched about a dozen mission organizations. I was pretty convinced that I wanted to serve with the Christian Veterinary Mission, even to the point of pursuing and taking the Veterinary Technician National Exam to receive my certification. At the party to celebrate this accomplishment, I even had people give their financial gifts to CVM instead of accepting them myself. 

But what if there was a better organization for me. So I looked at YWAM, Wycliffe, SIM, AIM, World Race, World Team, Reach Global, Global Frontier Missions, New Tribes Missions, Pioneers and several others. After each email or phone call with a representative I was always drawn back to CVM. Not just because of their veterinary focus, but because they seemed to touch on every level of missionary preparation, support and care. Other organizations always seemed to be missing one small part or another.

So I pursued service with them. Many of you are aware of this part of the journey. From going to Kansas City last year to attend their long term missions introduction/training to heading off on the road trip to Virginia this spring to sharpen my livestock skills with the FARM course. Then off to Seattle this past June for the Training of Trainers. Plus, going through the Perspectives on the World Christian Movement last winter.

Now I have returned from Uganda and I'm praying daily to accept God's timing on when I return. If it were up to me I would have jumped back on the plane yesterday. But there are still a few more things to do in the process. One of which is raising up my ministry support team. Both prayer and financial. At the time of writing this, my account is still being set up by CVM. So if the Lord is leading you to make a contribution, contact me and I will let you know as soon as it's activated!

I will be taking another online class this winter. A survey of the Old and New Testament plus maybe a basic Theology course for fun. When my financial support is just about raised, I will head off to Colorado Springs for 5 weeks for the Mission Training International's courses that prepare missionaries to better learn a new language and a new culture.

Even though the rest of this process has taken years, we (myself and my new team members in Uganda) are really praying that God provides by May 2013. Then there would be a "Research Assistant" to assist with the short term shuttle groups of vets, vet techs, vet students and others that come throughout the summer.

But realistically, this could all happen very quickly. With my monthly needs, it would only take 365 of my closest friends committing to be ministry partners for one day of the year. To partner for that one day, they would commit to a monthly contribution of $12.65 a month. It costs more to go to a movie by yourself. And that's even choosing between popcorn or a soft drink. Getting both would cost more. So as soon as my account is set up, I will let you know!!! Oh wait, I said that already :-P

If you have more questions or comments. Feel free to leave a comment, email, call, Facebook, snail mail, text message, smoke signals....I WILL REPLY!!!! I have enjoyed connecting with friends I haven't talked to in awhile... and meeting new friends as well!

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Emily and rejoicing with you about this new chapter!!! Karamoja is an amazing place, and my husband and I miss it deeply. We are now in Nairobi as my husband took a regional position, but we will be traveling back to Moroto. Let's keep in touch. I would love to meet. And if you are ever in Nairobi, please do the same. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your prayers! I'm glad that Leana connected us. How long did you live in Karamoja? I would love to learn more about your time there and see what I need to know before I move to Moroto.

    ReplyDelete