Sunday, October 28, 2012

So my grandma's doing it, will you?!?

I miss Africa!

I miss the hot weather, hauling my water from the bore hole, washing my clothes by hand, getting bit by mosquitoes that are potentially carrying malaria, my Ugandan friends, rice & beans, rough muddy roads, and even the parasites in my feet. But most of all I miss being in the land where God has called and prepared me to be a part of sharing His Gospel.

I was just reading in Philippians 4 where Paul was thanking the church for their support. In verse 10 he said "I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it." So Imperishable Seed is an opportunity for you to show concern. But how can you help if you aren't called to move overseas, hate bugs and eating animal intestines?

In verse 14-19 Paul continues in his letter to the church... "Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus."

The Bible is clear that the rest church supporting those in full time ministry is Biblical. My one friend recently said "so the person in ministry is basically serving on a salary that is less than minimum wage and they have to raise themselves". Pretty much. Though since I know that God called me, I also know that He is in charge of raising my support. But I can't sit idly by without doing my part. That's why the verse in Philippians is so profound, I need to clearly present the opportunity.

How can you help? So I just got a call from my grandmother. She is super pumped that her granddaughter is following God's call to missions. She is also excited in how she can serve in what God is doing from her own home in Central Wisconsin. She doesn't have much in the to offer financially, but she has A LOT of connections. So she just requested another stack of my brochures (she already ran out of the stack I just gave her yesterday). I have two more requests totaling 40 brochures that I have to mail out tomorrow.

Are you interested in networking for Imperishable Seed?! Please contact me if you are interested in telling your friends, family and church/pastor/mission committee etc. Fortunately this is all about God and not any one person. It's about being part of the task God gave us to reach every tribe, every tongue and every nation. The brochures are a great way to share in what God is doing and present this opportunity to others!! SEE BROCHURE HERE

If 380 people commit to $10/mo I'm living in my hut!! Or the current average ministry commitment is $50/mo so it would only take 76 more people!!! Or only 38 more people at $100 per month! Many hands will take quick work of this!! If the monthly commitments come in sooner rather than later, the monthly support received before May 2013 will go towards the one time needs (training, airfare, moving expenses, computer, and 4x4 pick-up truck -see example). 20% of those needs have been covered in just over a month. Though there is still a long way to go.

In the middle of writing this I Googled something out of curiosity. Did you know that average Americans spend $1,092 a year on coffee at a coffee shop (read article here) rather than making it at home for a mere $120 a year. The difference is $81 a month or $20 a week or $4 a work day.

I know some of my friends are trying to figure out the maximum amount they can afford to put towards support before contacting CVM to sign up. But I would encourage you to figure out the minimum and start with that right away. Then as the Lord leads, you can always increase. I can't buy my airline ticket to move to Uganda until 100% of the monthly support is committed. Click Here to Donate Now

For the people who are visual like me...



$4,547 per month. Seems like a lot. But this includes project costs, office supplies, cost for CLIDE national staff, travel and administration, VISA/Work Permit, communication expenses (internet-cell phone), group medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, emergency evacuation, long term disability insurance, US workers compensation insurance, FICA, international worker’s compensation coverage, retirement, salary, in country travel, food, personal care items, Veterinary Technician License, Vet Tech Continuing Education, membership in Wisconsin Veterinary Technician Association and Uganda Christian Veterinary Mission, hut rent, charcoal, kerosene, propane, fuel for generator to run computer, vehicle insurance, vehicle road license, vehicle fuel, vehicle oil, vehicle repairs - ETC. A detailed report is available upon request.

How will you partner with God's ministry to the Karamojong people in NE Uganda?

I'm excited that we get to be a part of the ministry God has been building over there through Dr. Val Shean and CLIDE's relationships and work in Karamoja. It's pretty incredible to know that a veterinary technician joining their team has been a prayer for 10 years now!! Also, remember, everything is communal over there... so whenever you want to visit, you will have a place to stay in "our hut" ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment