Saturday, March 30, 2013

What's in a CVM "project" name?


So I was just going through some old documents and I discovered a list of project names that I was working on before my trip.

So before I share those, let me tell you about what I chose for my project name and why we need project names....

Imperishable Seed” is my official project name with CVM. A project name is required of every fieldworker for tax purposes and accountability. The IRS isn't to keen on giving a tax deduction to money give to the "Emily Arndt" fund. So I am the project manager of "Imperishable Seed" but first there is proper project documentation, budgets, etc. that are approved by CVM before the monies can be used. These all line up with CVM’s Mission and Values as governed by specific policies and procedures.

I discovered my project name during my quiet time with God in my hut. It was the morning after a really 
impactful conversation I had participated in the evening before. I knew that I had fallen in love with Africa 
and God had blessed me with A LOT of skills needed to live in such a place. I was prepared for the flat tire, 
broken generator, countless head of livestock, veterinary laboratory work, food items not typically considered for consumption by American standards, and trips across pitted dirt paths commonly referred to 
as roads. BUT, I knew that all of this was pointless if I didn't love the people. 

So my prayer had been for God to reveal to me His heart and love for the Karamojong. I Peter 1:22 was the verse I read that morning: “Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.”It really hit me at that moment and I have been falling in love with the Karamojong ever since. Then I read the next verse: “For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.” “Imperishable Seed,” it was perfect sin
ce I’m working with plants and sharing the Gospel.


Preparing 'Edapal' to administer to livestock for our research



So as you can see, picking the name turned out to be pretty simple when God was in control. But here is the list of ideas that I was working on before my trip. Now mind you, we try to keep from blatant references to a specific part of the world or obviously Christian. Because if in 20 years God called me to an area of Asia where Christianity is illegal "Serving Jesus in Africa" wouldn't be fitting and would probably make it so you couldn't get in to the country. So you would have to go through all of the legal paperwork to change the name and reprint all of your prayer cards, brochures, etc. So it's easier to start out with a name that can travel with you.

Here are the instructions I was given from CVM for choosing the name:

I think when you come up with a project name you need to put yourself in the shoes of the people who will be reading it and say is it:
·         Intuitive to what I do – Not lead people down the wrong path in their mind when they see it.
·         Does it represent me – Does it relate to life verse or message.  Am I passionate about it, are there messages to develop out of it. etc
·         Is it transferable – can it move with me if I move to Uganda to Sudan or India.
·         Simple and short  - People just like this.

It is hard to hit on all of these so you do the best you can.

So here is are the project name ideas that hit the cutting room floor: 

Earthen Vessels – II Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Unashamed (for Him) – Romans 1:16-17- I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.

Labor of Love- I Thess 1:3- We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Blessed to be a Blessing- Luke 12:48b From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked

Worthy Life- Acts 20:24 - However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me —the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.

Task Force- Acts 20:24

Course Assistance- Acts 20:24

Completing Vital Task (CVT)- Acts 20:24

Living Example – (this one goes off of a verse talking about being young but I won't be young forever so it would become weird when I'm 60) I Timothy 4:12- 12 Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

Living Stones – I Peter 2:4-5- As you come to him, the living Stone —rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him— you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Precious Stones – I Peter 2:4-5- As you come to him, the living Stone —rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him— you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Fragrant Offering – Ephesians 5:1-2-  Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God

Beautiful Feet- Romans 10:14-15-  How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!

Mission Possible- Matthew 19:26- 26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

And finally the name that was actually in the running as a strong possibility before my trip. Though now looking back, I'm glad God had different ideas:

Cross Trainer- or Cross Trainer 39 (39 is my favorite number and a racing number would be fitting) Philippians 4:8 (don’t remember why I picked this verse to go with this one) -  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Note: Acts 20:24 and II Peter 3:9 were also verses considered to be associated with this name.

Lodim Charles- CLIDE  Ethno-Veterinary Coordinator
If you are wondering, here is a sampling of some of the other CVM project names. This list is from a year ago so some more have been added since then, like "Threads of Love". There are also a few names that reference sensitive locations so they also have been removed. Plus, one's like "CVM Director's Office" have been removed. But yes, even most of the US Staff in the home office depends on the financial support of ministry partners, just like myself and every other CVM fieldworker living overseas.

As you can see, some names are flexible to move to other locations, others aren't.

Abounding
Abundant Life
Africa Vet
Africa Veterinarians
B.L.E.S.S.
Branching Out
Good News for Mongolia
H.O.P.E.
Haiti Veterinarian
Heeding His Call
His Very Own
His Vets
Hope in the Himalayas
Karamojong Chronicle
Living Hope
Living Water
Loaves and Fish
One Generation to the Next
RAIN
S.U.S.T.A.I.N.
Shepherd's Gate
The Animal Bridge
To The Ends Of The Earth
Equipping the Nations
Fields of Promise
Frontier Vet
In The Gap
L.O.V.E. - Colossians 3:17
Milk and Honey
On Mission With God
Serving with Spirit
The Spend Yourselves Isaiah 58:10

"Africa Vet" is Dr Val. "His Very Own" is Dr Daniel and Rachel Graham. I will be joining both of them on the CLIDE (Community Livestock-Integrated Development Consultancy) team in Uganda!!

Behind me the cattle are coming in to the Kraal for the night
CVM currently has long-term workers in 13 countries (USA included) and have 35 full time workers. Last year CVM had over 350 short-term volunteers serve. There are also over 1000 students involved in CVF groups at the veterinary campuses. CVF is the Christian Veterinary Fellowship, a campus ministry for veterinary students. To explore the other CVM fieldworkers around the world just click on the CVM logo.


No comments:

Post a Comment