Friday, August 2, 2013

Me? Really?

I know God wants me in Africa. I'm excited to move to Africa. I'm excited to start using my skills as a veterinary technician again... but really? I'm moving to Africa?

Some days this just hits me. It's almost surreal at times. Here I am living in rural northeast Wisconsin...for my entire life... a nobody in the grand scope of the 7 BILLION people that live on this globe. But then I have to go to check something out on my webpage. My official CVM webpage... that thousands of people visit. A webpage of an international mission organization. Pinch me, is that really my picture there?

I just completed a road trip meeting new people, speaking and even staying at stranger's homes. Tonight I speak at a local Christian Music festival... up on the elevated stage... in front of the grandstands.Who am I? What's going on?

The other day someone heard me on the radio. A radio station that I had forgotten had called me for an interview as I was on my way to Bible Study one night. Or the person that stops me in our small town to tell me the recognized me from a newspaper article. Or the 600+ people that receive my prayer letter monthly. Or the person I've never met on the other side of the globe that emails me and says they want to invest in my ministry. It's all crazy and so large in scale.

But I'm a Daughter of my Heavenly Father that has a willing heart to live the life He has planned for me. That's who I am. His dearly beloved. He will take care of all of the craziness. The people that were just a face to me in a crowd of 100 people at a church. Or someone who heard a radio interview or read a newspaper article. These people that come up to me to say how something I said impacted them. Yikes. This isn't about me so I don't have to worry about "being in control." It's about Him, my God, the Creator of the Universe. The Savior sent to pay the penalty for our sin. These people that I have the privileged to interact with are just like me. A nobody in the grand scheme of life, but an incredible force for the Kingdom if they seek God's calling in their life. And just as God has put people in my path, now He is putting me in other people's path. WOW.

So I'm moving to Africa. I will probably not sleep well the night before my trip.... or the week before. I know I will have long hard days in my future when reality of separation from my family and friends hits me like a ton of bricks and I'm overwhelmed with the cultural differences in my new home. But I think of God's promise engraved on my necklace, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

Wow... thank you God!

For now I enjoy the journey. I do like the chance to share with new people about how God is moving in Karamoja and how He has called me to be a part of this. Though I also do enjoy the Sundays when I'm not meeting new friends at new churches. The Sundays when I'm with my home church family. Where I'm just Emily... the country girl who loves Jesus, volunteers with the youth group, and bawls like a baby at sappy movies (thanks Jenny for pointing that out to everyone).

Some of my church friends reminding me that I only have
 19% of my monthly support to raise before I move.

No comments:

Post a Comment