Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Village

So apparently I've maintained a blog for 7 years now. I use it as a way of processing things that are in my mind. Though as of late it has been more geared towards my mission journey. Plus, the audience use to just be a few of my friends, now I really have no clue who reads this. So as I was pondering this post I almost decided not to write it. It has nothing to do with my mission work and it might seem strange to some of the new people who are now reading this. BUT this is still who I am and how I process life. I am a servant of the King called to Uganda, but I'm also still on this journey of Christian growth just like everyone else. It's a lifetime process that doesn't stop when someone enters the public eye. So here it is.

Last night I had a chance to hang out with our church youth group, The Forge. I really enjoyed this since I have been involved in leadership for almost a decade now. It's really crazy to think about. I have loved loving these teens, sharing joys and sorrows with them, and encouraging them to live their lives for Jesus. We have had serious times, paint fights, marshmallow fights, jumped off Canadian back country cliffs, done community service, slept in cardboard boxes, discipled new Christ followers, and many things in between. Though this past year I have been really hit and miss because of my travels, training, and speaking engagements. But last night I got to be me and hang out with the kids, eat junk food, throw a football around, and enjoy the annual outdoor movie.

*SPOILER ALERT*

So the movie that we watched was "The Village." I had never even heard of this movie before. I'm more of a cynic when it comes to 'scary' movies so I found myself laughing during most of it. But then on my drive home it really hit me. That was basically my life. (for those unfamiliar with the movie read the plot summary on Wikipedia)

I grew up in my own 'village'- a community of people that told stories of the scary world beyond the safe perimeter of our own community. There were things you didn't speak of and things you didn't question.

The village in the movie was run by a small group of people that had some sort of traumatic experience in the real world and wanted to separate themselves from it. So they developed this altered reality that they forced their kids to grow up in. Kids that in my opinion where suffering severe psychological abuse from the fear they lived in all of the time.

I see this within the leadership of the fundamentalist cult I grew up in. Many people came from mainstream churches but some how 'it never worked' for them. So they became embittered and this altered reality of rules and regulations works for them. Sadly, one can never assume everyone sitting next to you in church is a Christian. This is why it's important that the Gospel is presented at every opportunity.

These leaders ALWAYS try to censor the people they are leading. Don't look at the outside. Don't question. Don't doubt. I have even seen relatives distance themselves from their family so they aren't "tainted by outside influences." Parents limiting their children's friends, contacts on Facebook, or anything else.

But how big is God? I have always encouraged the youth group kids to read their Bible, seek God, question things, don't take their parent's word for it. Make their faith their own. I know that God is Truth and if they are seeking Truth, they will find it. Isaiah 55. I'm happy to say that within three weeks there are four young people heading out for Biblical and mission training. Plus myself heading to Africa soon. That is five young people heading to follow God's call on their life from a small rural Wisconsin church. I found a quote recently that said "The mark of a great church is not its seating capacity, but its sending capacity." — Mike Stachura

But I digress....

So what about these kids. In this group we were told to not even doubt our beliefs. Doubting would give a foothold for the devil. This reminds me of the creatures in the woods that you weren't to speak about in the movie. Or the kids who had to see the dead, skinned animals that 'the creatures' ravaged. Or hide in the safe cellar when the beasts outside were ravaging the village. I instantly thought about the stories of California falling in, marking the end of the world. So every time there was an earthquake you would wonder if the end was coming. Or we were told of the 'great and dreadful day of the Lord' and it was equated to World War III. So whenever there was a new conflict in the world, I would wonder if this was IT. But worse yet, was I good enough? Was I going to be raptured or would my parents go and I would to left to suffer? The night of the bombings on Baghdad that marked the beginning of the first Gulf War just about destroyed me. I snuck away so I wouldn't be questioned as to why I was throwing up from my uncontrollable nerves. But when I asked 'how do I know' that I'm good enough, I was told to just believe and not question. WHAT?

So in the movie the blind girl finally discovers some of the lies and control tactics that are being used. So she ventures out through the woods to the world beyond. Instead of being torn up by the ravages of evil she discovers a kind and helpful modern humanity waiting for her.

So when my many friends and I left this group we discovered Jesus. The Jesus of the Bible. The Gospel. Not the pit of hell ready to destroy our souls as we had been told. "Everyone who leaves for the world is a heretic destined to hell." This is a common fear tactic used. "You don't want to leave and end up like those people do you?

So who are those people? Yes, there are some that have left and at the moment want nothing to do with God. But I almost headed that direction, so I really understand where they are at. In May one of my friends who walked this path just came to Jesus!

But the majority of us really do want to seek Jesus. Jesus who is, who was, and who is to come. Not the Jesus we were taught in this group. We were taught the Gnostic Jesus. Jesus was just a man who came and God used the body to dwell in as basically His puppet from his baptism through the garden of Gethsemane. So he died just a man. Not fully man and fully God as the Scriptures really teach.

But the reality beyond these walls is we don't need some 'prophet' telling us the 'deeper revelations.' As people who have accepted Jesus Christ's free gift of salvation because of His death on the Cross, taking our penalty for sin upon Himself, we have the Holy Spirit leading and guiding us. Hebrews 1:1-2 even discusses that we just need Jesus not some mysterious prophet who thinks he's all it, "In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe."

So that's what's on my mind today and I'm still processing. I might need to watch that movie again. Though I need some time. I found myself frustrated and angry afterwards. Angry towards how some men can destroy the lives of so many others. Men like Joseph Smith, Jim Jones, William Branham, Charles Russell, Howard Camping, David Koresh, Warren Jeffs, and so many others. Men that all have their own "one true" safe villages set up. Men who have created fear that keeps their followers from discovering the Truth of God. But I was also sad. Sad for the people who really do want to live a full life but are trapped.

But the good news is... Jesus is waiting just outside those false boundaries. Waiting to give you medicine and heal you. All you have to do is have faith to step in to the unknown and SEEK THE TRUTH. So how do you begin?? Read your Bible, in context, without the extra biblical writings or teachings holding you back 'for your own safety.' It's been 12 years so I stepped into the woods with fear and trembling to see what was really beyond it. I'm soooo glad that I did!

Here is a great video that shares the Truth of what really lives beyond the walls of your village....



When you light people with legalism or with rules and regulations they're going to burn out because they'll always live in fear. But a person set afire with the love of Jesus will live in gratitude serving his Lord out of love and not out of fear. 
By Max Lucado, taken from "Walking with the Savior"

No comments:

Post a Comment